The Unidad Académica Campesina-Carmen Pampa (UAC-CP) is a college in rural Bolivia that provides access to higher education for poor, indigenous youth. The UAC-CP, internationally recognized for both its unique approach and ability to address and dissipate root causes of poverty, is partially funded by Carmen Pampa Fund (CPF). CPF is a non-profit organization based in St. Paul, Minnesota that generates resources to assist the growth and development of the UAC-CP.
Both the College and CPF share a vision of economic, environmental, and social justice for the people of Bolivia. In recognition of their vital work, in 2003 the United Nations Subcommittee for the Eradication of Poverty designated the UAC-CP as one of the seven most effective initiatives worldwide.
POSITION: English Teacher
The UAC-CP’s Language Department relies on English-speaking professional visitors to supplement and execute the College’s English instruction within all five major areas of study at the College: Nursing, Veterinary Science, Agronomy, Education, and Ecotourism.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare and teach college-level English classes for groups and individuals in accordance with UAC-CP approved curriculum
• Provide tutoring/homework assistance
• Supervise and assist students in language laboratory
• Coordinate curricula with UAC-CP professors
• Assess student achievement and academic progress
• Keep organized records of attendance and grades
• Attend and participate in UAC-CP faculty and administrative meetings and workshops
• Respect UAC-CP teacher policies (i.e. vacation schedule, professional code of conduct, dress code, etc.)
• Abide by responsibilities and expectations for UAC-CP volunteers as outlined in the Volunteer Handbook
• Educate UAC-CP students in a manner that is consistent with the values and mission of the College
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
• English speaker
• B.A. or B.S. degree, minimum (copy of college diploma is required)
• English teaching experience and/or TOEFL certificate highly preferred
• Dedication to the mission of the UAC-CP
• Responsible, organized, flexible, self-motivated, patient, and professional
• English speaker
• Speak, read, and write Spanish at a beginner level
• Commitment to teaching for at least one full semester (Approximate dates for semesters are: Jan. 21 – Jun. 20; Jul. 17 – Dec. 21)
Housing is provided in the Volunteer House at no charge for teachers in the Language Department. However, teachers are asked to contribute $75/mo. for food and communal expenses.
Application: In addition to the Professional Visitor Application Form and Professional Reference Forms, please send a resume with a short cover letter to Sarah Mechtenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit: www.carmenpampafund.org