What are the requirements to teach English online? Do I need a degree?
When you apply for a job at an online tutoring company, the requirements are often more flexible than what is required in a traditional classroom, and that can be a major advantage to teaching English online. These are the general requirements, but like any job, remember that each company will decide its own.
- TEFL certification is almost always required; specialized certification in teaching online is preferred.
- Depending on the company, you may or may not need a bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with children is valued, since many online tutoring companies cater to young learners.
- You’ll need a reliable Internet connection, desktop or laptop computer, and other hardware for the job.
- A high level of English proficiency is required (C1 or C2, according to the CEFR/native speaker).
How much do online English teachers get paid?
The salary range for online teachers at a company is from about $14-22 USD/hour. Of course, your particular salary will depend on the company you work for and your level of certification and experience. If you have a bachelor’s degree, TEFL certification (ideally specialized) and experience working with children, expect to fall on the higher end of the spectrum.
If you freelance or go independent, you can set your own hourly rate according to your qualifications.
What’s it like to teach English online?
Learn firsthand what to expect. Meet Bridge graduates who are teaching in the virtual classroom, both for companies and independently.
Do I have to be a native English speaker to teach English online?
Not necessarily. If you opt to work for yourself, you can market your skills as you like.
If you opt to apply to online English teaching companies, you’ll find that each one has its own hiring requirements. If your English level is high, and you meet other requirements for the job, you will find opportunities regardless of your native language. Teachers who freelance or work independently would have no restrictions.
Read an interview with non-native English speaking online teacher!