Bridge works to get you an online teaching job.
Our partners include:
It's as easy as ...
Tell us your online teaching plans.
Qualify for top online teaching jobs with a Bridge TEFL/TESOL certificate!
Connect with top online teaching jobs – or get started as a private tutor!
In-depth English language teaching news and resources for global educators.
Discover ELT articles, webinars, interviews, videos, and more!Learn More!
Download the Ultimate Guide to Teaching Online
Thinking about teaching online but not sure where to start? Learn the ins and outs with our free guide.
Build on Your TEFL/TESOL Credentials with Specialized Certification in Teaching English Online
Earn up to 210 hours of certification with the ultimate four-course series in teaching English online.
Your Own Personal Tutor
Fun, Interactive E-Learning Platform
Teaching Videos, Downloads, Discussion Boards
Optional Practicum in Teaching English Online!
Freelancer Course – Learn the Skills to Succeed as an Independent Tutor
Internationally-Recognized Certificate + Digital Badges to Share on
Preferred Employment Partner Job Network/Job Assistance
New to teaching English?
In the Comprehensive TEFL/TESOL Certification Bundle you’ll start with the Master Certificate to get a strong foundation in English language teaching methodology before specializing in Teaching English Online.
- Earn versatile, internationally recognized certification
- Qualify for top TEFL/TESOL positions
- Enter any classroom or teach online with confidence
Want experience teaching English online?
Our 60-hour Practicum in Teaching English Online gives you hands-on teaching practice in a virtual classroom!
During the Practicum, you will:
- Learn to navigate a real Learning Management System
- Practice-teach an online ESL student using a well-known platform
- Record your best demo teaching sessions to demonstrate your skills to future employers
Ready to be your own boss?
Learn the practical business skills you need to launch your freelance tutoring career in our 30-hour Teaching English Online as a Freelancer course.
During the course, you will:
- Determine the right market niche for you and find students within that target demographic
- Learn how to market yourself and your business effectively using social media, email, and other channels
- Apply strategies to manage, scale, and pivot your online teaching business
You're in good company.
Earning a Bridge Certificate in Teaching English Online qualifies you for jobs with top online tutoring companies…or to successfully chart your own path as a freelancer!
Teaching English Online in Portugal
Teaching English can be a really rewarding career path and the online learning environment is creating so many great opportunities for teachers to make a decent living and enjoy a great lifestyle anywhere that they choose."Read His Story!
Teaching English Online in Mexico
The first reason VIPKID appeals to so many people is that it’s a flexible job you can do from anywhere you have an internet connection. It’s also pretty awesome that you can do the job so long as you have space and an internet connection. Another thing about this job is it's very easy to schedule travel time around classes.”Read Her Story!
Teaching English Online in Chile
Looking back, getting my first online teaching job was a privilege as it opened a lot of doors for me as an ESL teacher, especially considering that I come from a non-native English-speaking country...My job teaching online has allowed me to go on to teach in traditional classroom-based positions for several other institutes in different countries.”Read Her Story!
Teaching English Online in the US
My ultimate goal with TEFL was always to be able to work from anywhere in the world. Right now, that means I can teach online from my hometown while I map out my future. But my dream is to travel overseas and teach in as many different countries as possible!”Read Her Story!
FAQs About Teaching English Online
What types of online teaching jobs are there?
Teaching English online can take several forms. You can work for an online English tutoring company (the most common option, especially for new teachers) or you can create a portfolio and market yourself as a freelancer via an online “marketplace” for English tutors. A third option is to start your own online English tutoring business. Learn how Bridge can help you succeed in teaching online as a freelancer!
Learn more about these options in this article: Should I Work for a Company or for Myself?
What are the requirements to teach English online? Do I need a degree?
Requirements to teach online for a company vary from one employer to the next, but these are the general qualifications needed for most jobs. You do not necessarily need a degree!
- TEFL certification (specialized certification in teaching online is preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in some cases
- Experience working with children (a preferred qualification if the online tutoring company caters to young learners)
- Reliable Internet connection, desktop or laptop computer, and other hardware for the job.
- A high level of English proficiency is required (C1 or C2, according to the CEFR/native speaker).
Can I teach online if I’m not a native English speaker?
Definitely! Don’t get discouraged if you come across online tutoring companies looking only for native speakers. There are also many online tutoring companies that hire bilingual teachers, as long as they meet certain English proficiency requirements.
Also, bear in mind that you promote yourself as a teacher via the online teaching marketplace, where students choose their teacher, requirements are more flexible.
What equipment and Internet speed do I need to teach online?
Most online teaching or tutoring companies will have their own software platform that facilitates the lessons for you, making it as easy as logging in, but of course you should be equipped with certain tools if you want to teach English online successfully.
- For starters, you should have a desktop or laptop computer and a reliable, fast Internet connection. The speed requirement varies from company to company, but 10-15 Mbps should be enough to hold uninterrupted, quality online classes.
- You’ll need a good webcam, mic, and headset. Consider investing in a pair of noise-canceling headphones that do a good job of enhancing call quality.
- You’ll need to consider your workspace. While you don’t need to have a dedicated office, you’ll want to be sure you have a quiet, professional-looking space to teach classes.
How much do online English teachers make?
The salary range for online ESL teaching varies based on credentials and experience. Online language schools’ starting rates are usually between $12 to $21 per hour. Some also offer performance incentives or increase the rates when you stay with the company for a longer time.
Teachers who work through tutor marketplaces and independently, on the other hand, set their own rates based on their credentials and experience. Learn how to succeed as a freelance tutor with the 30-hour Teaching English Online as a Freelancer course!