Take the first step toward an advanced degree in TESOL.
The path to your future just got clearer.
Invest in yourself with our most advanced TEFL / TESOL certification course, the 150-hour, graduate-level IDELTOnline™. In this interactive training, you’ll join an international group of classmates led by a master’s level instructor, and take part in collaborative activities, discussion boards, and optional live sessions. Choose this university-affiliated course to exceed certification requirements and stand out as the most competitive candidate for English teaching jobs.
Upcoming Course Dates
Start Learning Today!
Sessions fill up in advance. Sign up early to secure your place!
Bridge International Diploma in English Language Teaching (IDELTOnline™)
Impress employers worldwide and qualify for the most competitive jobs with this university-affiliated training. Join an international cohort of trainees and earn credit towards a pathway to an MA TESOL.
You have the option to pay in monthly installments spread throughout the length of your course!
Bridge International Diploma in English Language Teaching (IDELTOnline™)
- Access the 100% online course from any device.
- Content delivered on a Learning Management System used by top universities.
- Easy navigation and ongoing progress-tracking.
Live Lecture Sessions
- Four live sessions throughout your course, scheduled at your convenience.
- Meet with your instructor and other trainees.
- Review content learned, ask questions, discuss topics of interest.
- Get to know your classmates as part of an online learning community.
- Collaborate with diverse trainees to share teaching ideas.
- Receive instructor support and guidance through messaging and discussion posts.
Engaging & Collaborative Projects
- Throughout the course, use feedback to develop a Philosophy of Teaching statement you will finalize before graduation.
- Receive continual peer and instructor input to develop the final version of your lesson plan.
- Complete a research report on your chosen English language teaching/learning topic.
Bridge's Best in Class Experience.
Work from any device.
Graduate-level credits and CEUs
Earn 6 graduate-level credits transferable to over 1,600 universities and 15 Continuing Education Units.
Cohort of classmates
Train with an interactive group of peers from around the world.
Pathway to an MA TESOL
Apply IDELTOnline™ credits toward a graduate certificate, master’s, or doctorate program at Bridge university partners worldwide.
Structured, 12-week schedule
Choose from monthly course start dates.
Job placement assistance
Access our global job network via the Bridge Job Board and connect with Bridge Preferred Employment Partners.
Stay engaged with live sessions, interactive e-textbook, quizzes & activities, and discussion board.
Receive guidance and feedback from a qualified, experienced instructor.
Receive a 150-hour accredited TEFL / TESOL certification and verifiable digital badge upon completion.
Share Digital Badges on
Bridge International Diploma in English Language Teaching (IDELTOnline™) Course Information
|Start date||Multiple start dates each month. See upcoming dates.|
|Format||100% online. Weekly due dates for assignments.|
|Live Sessions||Four synchronous live sessions (attendance optional).|
|Language requirements||C1 CEFR Level; proficiency test required. (See Course Requirements below for more details.)|
|College credits available||6 graduate-level credits. (Learn more about earning college credit below.)|
|CEUs available||15 CEUs. (Learn more about earning CEUs below.)|
|Get answers to common course questions|
|Module 01||Week 1
English: The Language and Its Contexts
|Module 02||Week 2
Learning and Principles for Instruction
|Module 03||Week 3
Instructional Approaches and Methods
|Module 04|| Week 4
Learners and Teachers in the Multicultural Classroom
|Module 05|| Week 5
Planning for Successful Instruction
|Module 06|| Week 6
Knowing That Learning Has Happened
|Module 07|| Week 7
Promoting and Managing Student Interaction
|Module 08|| Week 8
Teaching Grammar, Vocabulary, and Pronunciation
|Module 09|| Week 9
Promoting Skills Instruction: Listening and Speaking
|Module 10|| Week 10
Planning Skills Instruction: Reading and Writing
|Module 11|| Week 11
Teacher Professional Development
|Module 12|| Week 12
Course Conclusion: Philosophy of Teaching Statement
Live Instructor Sessions
Discussion Board Activities
When you complete your course, you’ll be able to:
- Articulate a personal teaching philosophy using a broad technical, professional vocabulary
- Demonstrate comprehension of the implications of learning contexts and student profiles on teaching decisions
- Compare and contrast language acquisition principles and apply this knowledge to classroom teaching decisions
- Demonstrate knowledge of the components of the English in order to sequence and plan learning activities
- Define the characteristics of learners at different stages of life, concentrating on what adult learners need
- Identify the qualities of a "good" teacher through an explanation of the different roles teachers assume
- Articulate how an effective error treatment strategy promotes learning; define the importance of giving good feedback
- Demonstrate understanding of the 4 skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) and identify concepts important to teaching them
- Develop vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation lesson sequences
- Write actionable, measurable learning objectives
- Design a complete lesson plan with rationale based in research
- Develop and defend an assessment strategy for a given context and class profile
- AND MORE!
These resources make the process of finding TEFL jobs or advancing in the field as clear and easy as possible. You’ll learn how to improve your resume, find and apply to TEFL jobs, and ace your interview! If you’re already teaching, you’ll find helpful information on continuing professional development. You’ll also learn how to take advantage of Bridge’s job placement services and connect to our community of TEFL teachers and schools worldwide.
|Module 01||Finding a Job, Downloading Your Certificate, and Updating Your Resume|
|Module 02||Stay Connected with Bridge!|
|Module 03||TEFL / TESOL Professional Development Opportunities|
|Age||18 years of age or older.|
|Language||If English is not your first language, you will be expected to show proof of English fluency (C1 level, according to the CEFR, the Common European Framework Reference for Language). Your English level must be verified with the results of a recently taken English proficiency test (showing the equivalent to an IELTS test score of at least 7.0) or via an English proficiency test administered by Bridge.|
|Technology||Internet access with the ability to stream and watch videos. Access to desktop/laptop computer highly recommended.|
|Other||You will also be required to purchase a textbook for the IDELTOnline™: Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy 4th Edition by H. Douglas Brown and Heekong Lee (2015). This textbook can be ordered online and shipped worldwide by most major book distribution companies. There is also an eTextbook version available directly from Pearson publishing.|
This course includes the option to add a blended or 100% virtual teaching practicum. Most trainees enroll in the practicum at the time of their IDELTOnline™ enrollment, but begin this practical component after they complete the IDELTOnline™ course.
Guided Teaching Practicum Certification (20 hours, blended)
This blended (online and classroom-based) English teaching practicum provides new teachers with valuable hands-on experience and meets hiring requirements for the most competitive teaching jobs worldwide.
You’ll set up and complete your practicum, working with an onsite mentor at the center of your choice, anywhere in the world. The practicum requires completion of the following components, for a total of 20 hours of certification (the standard requirement for most employers).
- 10 hours of tutor-guided online preparation
- 5 hours of EFL teacher observation
- 5 hours of hands-on teaching practice in a real EFL classroom
Upon IDELTOnline™ and Guided Teaching Practicum completion, graduates receive a 170-hour TEFL / TESOL certification.
Teaching English Online Certification/Practicum (180 hours, online)
For those who are interested in teaching English online, Bridge recommends adding the 180-hour Specialized TEFL / TESOL Certification in Teaching English Online series to the IDELTOnline™. This three-course training includes a first-of-its-kind, 100% online teaching practicum.
After completing the first two courses in the series, Foundations and Advanced Methods in Teaching English Online, you’ll apply what you’ve learned in the virtual practicum by delivering online English lessons to real students via an online Learning Management System (LMS). You’ll also create a portfolio of recorded teaching sessions to showcase your expertise to future employers.
The practicum requires completion of the following for a total of 60 hours of certification:
- Determine an online student’s learning objectives and goals
- Find appropriate online lesson plan content based on a student’s needs
- Use online scheduling software to manage your students
Conduct an online class using software such as:
- • Interactive and digital whiteboards
- • Pen tools
- • Split screen share
- • Video and audio conferencing
- Troubleshoot common technical problems
- Apply concepts of Reflective Teaching Practice
- Observe and assess video demos of online teachers
- Observe and assess your own recorded teaching performance
Upon completion of the IDELTOnline™ and 180-Hour Certification in Teaching English Online, graduates receive a 330-hour TEFL / TESOL certification.
Qualified enrollees have the option of taking the Bridge IDELTOnline™ for transferrable undergraduate or graduate-level credits or as a pathway into M.A. TESOL programs with our university partners.
The IDELTOnline™ has been evaluated and recommended up to 9 semester hours of college credit by The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®). Course graduates can present a nationally recognized transcript for the IDELTOnline™ to the college or university of their choice for the potential award of academic credit.
Bridge also partners with universities in the U.S. and abroad that accept the IDELTOnline™ as a pathway to their graduate certificate, master’s degree, or doctorate programs in TESOL and related fields. (Scholarships also available).Learn more
If you would like to earn university credit for the IDELTOnline™, we recommend meeting the following requirements:
1. Completed bachelor’s degree or currently at least a junior in standing in a bachelor’s degree program with a 3.0+ GPA
2. Pass IDELTOnline™ course with at least an 80%
1. Enrolled in or completed a bachelor’s degree program
2. For upper-division credit, currently at least a junior in standing with a 3.0+ GPA
The IDELTOnline™ covers effective, modern methodology for professional teachers of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL).
- Language Systems
- How to Teach Grammar and Vocabulary
- Effective Teaching all Four Language Skills
- Classroom Management
- Lesson Planning
- Testing and Evaluation
Common Questions about the IDELTOnline
The course is 12 weeks long, and trainees must work through the course as a group, completing assignments weekly. However, the course provides flexibility during the week to access the course and complete assignments when it is convenient for you.
Yes. There is a required textbook for the IDELTOnline™, which is called Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy 4th Edition by H. Douglas Brown and Heekong Lee (2015). This textbook can be ordered online and shipped worldwide by most major book distribution companies. There is also an eText version available directly from Pearson publishing.
Yes. There are readings and forum postings required each week, as well as weekly comprehension quizzes. You’ll also complete 3 written assignments as part of the course, and the master’s-level instructor provides guidance and feedback on all written work.
To take the IDELTOnline™ you must be 18 years or older with at least a high school diploma or the equivalent. If you are not a native English speaker, you must demonstrate English proficiency at a minimum of a C1 level (according to the Common European Framework (CEFR), or have earned the equivalent to an IELTS test score of 7.0.
The IDELTOnline™ is accessed and delivered online, so you must have access to the Internet, including the ability to watch online videos using Adobe Flash Player. The IDELTOnline™ may be completed on any device, including a desktop computer, laptop computer, tablet or smartphone.
Yes! The Bridge IDELTOnline™ offers several options for university credit. Requirements and fees for earning credit are outlined below.
The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®) has evaluated and recommended for 6 semester hours of college credit for the IDELTOnline. Graduates can request a transcript (for a $25 fee) which can be presented to any of the more than 2,000 colleges and universities that consider ACE CREDIT recommendations, thus opening the door to bachelor’s, master’s, and even doctoral-level studies.
Bridge also partners with a number of specific universities in the U.S. and abroad that accept the IDELTOnline™ as a pathway to their graduate certificate, master’s or doctorate degree programs in TESOL (or offer scholarships for IDELTOnline™ graduates). Learn more about our university pathways partners.
If you would like to earn university credit for the IDELTOnline™, we recommend trainees meeting the following requirements:
Because the courses are self-paced (except for the 12-week IDELTOnline), how long your Bridge program takes to complete depends on the amount of time you’re able to dedicate to your course work.
A practicum can be added to any of Bridge's online courses, including in the IDELTOnline™. If you’re looking for direct feedback on your teaching, reflective teaching practice activities, and real-life experience with students in a physical or virtual classroom, adding a practicum to your certification is a great choice.
You can enroll either of the following Specialized Certificates for a practicum:
20-Hour Guided Teaching Practicum (for in-person teaching experience)
60-Hour Practicum in Teaching English Online (for online teaching experience)
You can enroll in either of these practicums at the same time you enroll in the IDELTOnline™ course, and you have the option to complete your practicum during or after the course.
The IDELTOnline provides a strong foundation in English language teaching methodology, lesson planning, and grammar, but it does not offer training in teaching English online, which requires specialized skills.
If you’d like to teach online, combine this course with Specialized Certification in Teaching English Online for the Comprehensive TEFL / TESOL Certification Bundle. You’ll start with the IDELTOnline Certificate, then take Foundations and Advanced Methods in Teaching English Online to learn the specific skills needed for virtual instruction, as well as commonly used technology, software, and teaching tools.
You can download, save, and print your certificate from the online platform free of charge, once the instructor has posted final grades. If you would like a hard copy mailed to you (with notarization or apostille) you may order that for an additional fee. Visit Certificate Services to learn more.
Yes! In addition to access to the BridgeTEFL Job Board, the Bridge IDELTOnline™ includes our highest level of job placement assistance, which is personalized and never expires. At any point after you graduate from the IDELTOnline™, you are encouraged to consult with one of our Jobs Advisors (all of whom have experience teaching English abroad) by phone or email.
Our advisors can guide you through the job search process by providing location-specific TEFL job resources, facilitating networking opportunities with schools and recruiters, offering advice, and even reviewing your TEFL resume.
At checkout, you should choose the option to pay by credit card with installments. When you choose to pay for your course in installments, our online payment system will automatically charge your credit card on pre-scheduled dates and intervals based on your date of purchase and the payment plan you select. No special promotions (including promo codes) can be applied if you elect to pay for your course via installments. The IDELTOnline™ is the only product that installment payments can be used for. If you have additional products in your cart, you will not see the installment payment option available at check out.
Assignments (such as quizzes and written tasks) are due on a weekly basis, allowing for flexibility for students with a busy schedule. Your overall grade for the course will be based on the successful and timely completion of quizzes, forum discussions, and various projects, and will be calculated as follows:
- Weekly reading comprehension quizzes 6%
- Weekly written analysis and discussion posts 41%
- Lesson Plan Project 27%
- Research Summary and Application Project 13%
- Philosophy of Teaching Statement 13%
Both of these online Bridge courses are Professional TEFL / TESOL Certificates, which means they provide initial training for new teachers, preparing you for all aspects of the English language classroom, including lesson planning, teaching the four skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening), teaching grammar, and classroom management.
The university-affiliated, 150-Hour International Diploma in English Language Teaching (IDELTOnline™) is a graduate-level course. It’s our most advanced, interactive TEFL / TESOL training and our most recommended course.
The 120-Hour Bridge Master Certificate is a self-paced, tutor-led course that meets certification requirements to teach English. It can be taken for undergraduate-level and like all Bridge courses, it’s offered on our state-of-the-art online learning platform with dynamic course features.
Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the differences between these two courses:
- This 12-week course is highly recommended for both new and experienced teachers looking for the most comprehensive training in methodology, theory, and applications for the ESL/EFL classroom.
- The course functions like many online university courses with interaction between you, your instructor, and other trainees. You’ll take part in collaborative activities, post on class discussion boards, and attend optional live sessions.
- As part of an IDELTOnline™ cohort (or group), you’ll work closely with about 10-12 other teacher trainees worldwide, interacting and completing peer projects.
- The schedule is flexible. While there is no set time or date when you’re required to log in to work on your course, weekly due dates for assignments will keep you on track.
- It’s a university-level course recommended for 9 graduate-level credits by the American Council on Education and accepted for transfer credit into MA TESOL Pathway Programs by Bridge university partners worldwide. (This is optional and you do not need to be enrolled in a university to take this course).
- You’ll earn a prestigious, university-affiliated, and fully accredited certification you can showcase to stand out when applying for the most competitive jobs!
Bridge’s Master Certificate is a very flexible, self-study TEFL / TESOL course that meets requirements for teaching positions at languages institutes and schools worldwide.
- It’s a great choice for new and experienced teachers looking for essential training in English language teaching methods.
- The course is self-paced so you’ll work independently, submitting assignments to your personal tutor for feedback.
- There are no specific deadlines to submit your work as long as you finish within three months (extensions are available).
- The course has been recommended for 6 undergraduate-level credits by the American Council on Education. (This is optional and you do not need to be enrolled in a university to take this course.)
- You’ll earn an accredited, internationally recognized TEFL / TESOL certification that meets requirements for teaching jobs worldwide.
As part of your IDELTOnline™ program, you will complete a “research summary and application” project. The goal of this project is to demonstrate your ability to take a deeper dive into a topic that interests you, related to English language teaching. You may choose any topic (your instructor can help you pick one); it can be one that’s covered in your course or another, outside topic.
You will investigate the topic and write a 700-1,500-word paper that summarizes your findings and applies the research to a language instruction setting. Your IDELTOnline™ instructor is there to provide any support needed as you prepare and complete your project. The project is done individually, but your peers in the course are there to offer insights and share ideas through the class discussion boards.
There are live sessions in the IDELTOnline™ program, but they’re optional. These live sessions are a way for you to connect with your instructor and the other participants in the program, interacting on a deeper level and discussing questions and course topics that interest you.
There are a total of four live sessions (hosted on Zoom) during the 12-week program. At the beginning of your program, you will share your time zone with the instructor and preferred meeting days and times. The instructor will then work to find the best time across your class to schedule the live sessions and will inform the class when they are scheduled.
If you cannot make the live session, don’t worry! It will be recorded for you to watch at your convenience and you can ask your instructor questions about it afterward.
IDELT stands for International Diploma in English Language Teaching. This course was originally developed as an in-person (or onsite) teacher-training offered at Bridge centers worldwide, then we later developed the eLearning version, the IDELTOnline™.
The IDELTOnline™ is Bridge’s most advanced TEFL / TESOL course. In this interactive is graduate-level training, you’ll join an international group of classmates led by a master’s level instructor, and take part in collaborative activities, discussion boards, and optional live sessions. Choose this university-affiliated course to exceed certification requirements and stand out as the most competitive candidate for English teaching jobs.
Definitely! The graduate-level 150-Hour Bridge International Diploma in English Language Teaching (IDELTOnline™) provides initial training for new English language teachers (such as teaching strategies and lesson planning), is 100% online, and helps you stand out as a highly qualified candidate for thousands of teaching positions at languages institutes and schools worldwide.
Qualify to Teach English in the Classroom and Online:
The Comprehensive Certification Bundle
The future of English teaching is blended – in-person and online. Combine a Professional TEFL/TESOL Certification with Specialized Certification in Teaching English Online to gain the skills and credentials you’ll need to succeed. Plus, save when you bundle!
- Qualify for top English teaching positions worldwide and online.
- Earn versatile, internationally recognized certification.
- Gain a strong foundation in TEFL/TESOL methodology before mastering the terms, technology, and teaching tools used in the virtual classroom.
Thinking of Pursuing an M.A. in TESOL?
The Bridge IDELTOnline™ is more than a TEFL / TESOL certification program, it’s a stepping stone to career advancement! The course has been recommended by The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®) for 6 graduate-level university credits, which can be transferred to over 1,600 colleges and universities. The IDELTOnline™ has also been approved by the following universities as a direct pathway to their graduate certificate, master’s degree, or doctorate programs.
Questions About the IDELTOnline?
We're here to help! Connect with a Program Advisor.
Learn from the experts.
Meet Our IDELTOnline™ Instructors!
Our MA TESOL-qualified instructors bring their English teaching knowledge and years of experience to the virtual IDELTOnline™ classroom
Terry has a B.A. in Business and an M.A. in Education in ESL. She is currently studying for her Doctorate in Education in Curriculum and Instruction. She has more than 20 years' experience teaching English, including working with high school students in North Carolina and tutoring in Germany.
Katie earned her Bachelor's degree in French and her Master's degree in TESL/TEFL. She has taught ESL for intensive English programs in Colorado and Wisconsin. She loves the science, art, and pedagogy of language acquisition and has studied French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Italian, and Arabic.